The East Coast State Railway (ECSR) was a guaranteed company formed in 1890 to undertake the running of the line built between Bhopal, Gwalior and Cawnpore.
The ECSR opened the line from Cuttack via Khurda Road to Puri in 1893, having a comparatively brief existence before being divided.Francis Joseph Edward Spring was Manager of the ECSR at this time.
The Southern part of ECSR was transferred to the Madras Railway(MR) in 1901; subsequently renamed Madras (North-East) Railway, becoming part of Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway(M&SMR) in 1908.
The other part of ECSR was absorbed by the Bengal-Nagpur Railway in 1902.
Unfortunately, there are no ECSR Staff appointments held in the India Office Records at the British Library.
An on-line search of the India Office Records (IOR) records held at the British Library relating to this railway 
gives the following:-
- L/F/8/16/1091; "Bengal-Nagpur Railway, Contract as to taking over a part of East Coast State Railway and construction of extensions and branch lines"; 23 Jan 1902
- L/F/8/16/1104; "Madras Railway Company, Contract as to maintenance, management and working of a portion of the East Coast Railway by the Company"; 31 Dec 1902
- ↑ “British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue” - Search; Retrieved 5 Apr 2016